Of course, we will not force you to apply for Polish citizenship, but if you feel at home in Poland and decide to stay here for while you might want to acquire a Polish citizenship. If you feel “polished” enough, let us help you to obtain this. Below, you will find all the information regarding becoming a Polish citizen. Right here, right now.
Ways of obtaining Polish citizenship
Polish citizenship can be acquired in the following ways:
1. By law
2. By recognition as a Polish citizen
3. By granting the Polish citizenship
4. By restoration of Polish citizenship
Great that you can obtain your polish citizenship via four different ways, but how does it work and which way suits me best? We will stretch this for you in a plane and simple language so you can make the right decision, let’s get to the point.
1. The acquisition by law
According to the law, if your mother or your father holds Polish citizenship, you get one as well. If your parents are unknown or don’t hold any citizenship and by any chance, you were found or born on the territory of the Republic of Poland – the rule stays the same. A child adopted by a person that is a holder of Polish citizenship acquires it as well, but only if the adoption process has been completed before the child turned 16. As a result, the child is considered to possess a Polish citizenship from the very start of their life.
2. By recognition as a Polish citizen
The recognition is always at the request of a foreigner or at the request of their legal representatives in case they are not adult yet. There are many ways to be recognised as a Polish citizen and by saying “many ways” we really mean it.
1. You have to live continuously in Poland for at least 3 years, your stay is based on an establishment permit, an EC residence permit if you are considered as a long-term resident or based on a permanent residence permit – by that we mean having a regular income in Poland. Legal income.
2. You have to live continuously in Poland for at least 2 years but first, you have to find a lovely person you want to marry (and wants to marry you!) and you have to remain in that state for at least 3 years.
3. You have to live continuously in Poland for at least 2 years and you have to hold a refugee status granted by the Republic of Poland.
4. You are a foreign minor, and one of your parents residing in the territory of Poland holds Polish citizenship.
5. You have lived here for at least 10 years continuously and legally in the territory of the Republic of Poland, your stay is based on an establishment permit, an EC residence permit if you are considered as a long-term resident and you have a stable and regular income within the Republic of Poland as well as a legal title to the occupied living premises.
6. You have lived here for at least 2 years and you have just found out that you have some Polish origin you’ve always dreamed of.
3. The granting of Polish citizenship
If the President of the Republic of Poland really likes you or thinks you deserve Polish citizenship for whatever the reason is, the only thing you have to do is to submit a written request or make your legal representatives to do it if you are a minor. As soon as the President signs the papers, the citizenship is acquired.
4. The restoration of Polish citizenship
What’s important, the procedure of the restoration of Polish citizenship only applies to you if you’ve lost it before the 1st of January 1999. The first thing you have to do is to fill out the application form which can be found here.
You also have to attach a couple of documents to the filled out application form:
1. Documents proving identity and citizenship.
2. Evidence of change in name, if this occurred.
3.The documents proving the loss of Polish citizenship.
4. Photograph of the applicant (it’s probably you).
When you’re done, simply send the form to the Ministry of Internal Affairs or deliver it to the Consulate of Poland if you’re abroad and wait for the good news. And that’s basically it!
If the polish citizenship is a bridge too far and you would like to obtain a polish residence permit we advise to visit the article that explains how to obtain polish residence permit.